1 medium butternut squash, halved and seeds removed
1.5 – 2 qt. homemade chicken broth or veggie stock
4 large beets
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp pepper
1 t minced onion
2 tsp. garlic
3 oz. chocolate
– Pre heat oven to 400F. Place beets and squash halves on an oiled baking sheet. Roast until soft (about 40
minutes to an hour).
– Saute garlic and onions in a little olive oil until soft. Add broth, salt and pepper and heat through while the
– Test the squash and beets for tenderness (they should be very soft). Use a hand blender and puree squash with
half the broth until smooth.
– Peel beets and puree with second half of broth.
– Melt the chocolate in the microwave.
– Pour both soups into one bowl. Add a dime-size amount of melted chocolate to the soup.
– This soup is also great served as an hors d’oeuvre at a cocktail party. For a unique presentation, simply fill
espresso cups with a “shot” of soup and pass them around on a tray.
– To save leftover soup, try freezing it in ice cube trays. Then if you want a cup of soup later, you can pop a few
soup cubes into a mug and place it in the microwave for a few minutes.
– Other serving suggestions for toppings: dollop of sour cream, drizzle of Kreta Olive Oil, sprinkle of chives,
crispy fried onions, bacon or chorizo bits.