The following recipe for wheat berry salad comes from Eating Well In Season, The Farmers’ Market Cookbook.
• 1/3 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
• 1/3 cup dried cranberries
• 3 cups cooked Wheat Berries
• 1 large apple, unpeeled, diced
• 1/2 cup pecan halves, toasted (see Tip) and coarsely chopped
• 3 tablespoons raspberry vinegar
• 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
• Rinse wheat berries well under cool water. Place in a large, heavy pan. Add 7 cups of cold water to wheat berries. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer gently for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Drain and rinse.
• Combine orange juice and cranberries in a small bowl. Let stand for 15 minutes.
• Combine cooked wheat berries, apple and pecans in a large bowl; stir gently. Drain the cranberries, reserving the juice. Stir the cranberries into the wheat berry mixture.
• Whisk the reserved orange juice, vinegar and oil in a small bowl until combined. Season with salt and pepper. Pour over the salad and stir gently to coat. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to combine. Serve cold or at room temperature.