Some will laugh when we suggest a recipe for “leftover” tortilla chips. Anyway, migas are a delicious way to eat chips for breakfast. Serves four.
1/4 c milk or half-and-half
2 T olive oil
1/2 c. salsa, plus more for serving
2 T jalapeños or green chiles (adjust to your tastes)
2 handfuls of tortilla chips
1 c shredded cheese
1/2 c cilantro
Salt and pepper to taste
Optional additions to egg mixture: fresh tomatoes, mushrooms, bacon crumbles
1. Whisk eggs together with milk. Stir in salsa. Add a dash of salt and pepper.
2. Heat olive oil in skillet on medium high.
3. Crumble tortilla chips into egg mixture and stir lightly.
4. Pour egg mixture into skillet and let sit for one minute or until set on the bottom and then gently stir.
5. Sprinkle cheese on top and continue to cook until melted and eggs are cooked through.
6. Add salt and pepper to taste and top with cilantro.
Serve with refried beans and flour tortillas..